The Shop Local Shop St. John campaign was launched in December 2012 by the St. John the Baptist Parish Economic Development Department and Economic Development Council (EDC) with input from St. John businesses and merchants.
The Shop Local Shop St. John mission is to support locally owned, independent businesses in St. John Parish, to maintain our unique community character, provide continuing opportunities for entrepreneurs, and build community economic strength.
Our three focus areas are:
- Informing citizens of the values provided by community-based businesses and their importance to the local economy, culture and social fabric.
- Group branding, promotion and advertising to elevate the collective profile of our community-based businesses and bring to them some of the advantages chains enjoy.
- Creating strong relationships with local government and the media to inform local decision-making and give a voice to the locally owned independent business community.
Our activities include the Shop Local Shop St. John Campaign, facilitating regular networking and educational events with our members, promoting an annual Holiday campaign, and maintaining an online business directory.
To join Shop Local Shop St. John, a business must be locally owned and independent. Here’s how we define these terms.
- Private, Employee, Community or Cooperative ownership
- Owned in majority by area resident(s)
- Full decision-making function for the business lies with its owner(s)
- No more than 10 outlets, bases of operation lie within a single state
To date, over 100 businesses have joined the campaign, displaying Shop Local Shop St. John window decals, posters, countertop thank-you cards, tee-shirts, bumper stickers, and other educational materials in their businesses, as well as incorporating the Shop Local logo in their own marketing and advertising. Shop Local Shop St. John has been featured in numerous news articles, and on a variety of radio and television shows, giving us an opportunity to bring our message to a wide audience.
Although we support independent businesses throughout St. John, because of our limited resources and capacity, the Shop Local Shop St. John Campaign is currently limited to businesses located in St. John Parish.
Shop Local Shop St. John is an affiliate of the American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA), a 501c3 organization that helps people start and sustain Independent Business Alliances (IBAs). (Shop Local Shop St. John one of over 50 IBAs in the U.S and is proud to be the first government organization that is a member.)